My sis and I have this ongoing joke every New Year inspired by my moms “This Year is Gonna Be My Year.” We laugh about it because it never quite seemed like the years were getting any better for her. However when you look at things its all about perspective. Every year she was granted was her year until 1999 when her years came to an end. So right now we have time lets use it wisely to challenge ourselves, love hard, inspire and leave a legacy. Below are 10 things I suggest doing this year to make it your year so that you leave magic dust where ever you go.
- Speak life. When you wake, just as you pass the mirror to step into the shower speak loving kind words to yourself. Speak to yourself as though you already have everything that you have ever wanted, speak greatness into your day looking directly at your beautifully imperfect reflection. I started doing it and it adds a little pep in my step and reminds me how dope I am and gives me the desire to speak life into others.
- Be audacious like a mediocre white dude. Sorry not sorry about this one, but there is something about these dudes that will make them walk up to the most attractive women at a party, or apply for jobs and run for offices that they have absolutely no qualifications for and believe they have a chance. And damn if more than half the time they are right. Shit if he can so can you, ask for what you want from your boss, your lover, even yourself and ask believing that you have every right to possess it. Write the book, start the biz, build the app, dance, audition, do “it.”
- Log off and go do shit that you can update folks on. I am preaching to the choir when I say this one. I get caught up sometimes following facebook or instagram feeds looking at how dope this parent is, or how this friend just wrote a book, garnered an award, got a promotion, had a baby, got engaged, traveled etc. and before I know it I have lost a valuable hour or two following instead of creating.
- Say No. While I know we can’t say no to everything that doesn’t make our heart sing, we can say it more often. You don’t always have to lend the money, babysit, take someones shift, or even wash your damn dishes at night. No is a complete sentence. Say no to something so that you can say yes to what makes your soul shake.
- Do something for yourself everyday. You don’t have to get a massage or manicure, go shopping or buy a dessert to pamper yourself but get in the habit of doing something just for you every single day. Take a few minutes to read a book, call a friend, write a love letter, color, paint, skip, exercise, paint your nails, blow bubbles, something that makes you better.
- Celebrate your birthday. Yo this is your very special day, the day marks the anniversary of the moment you came into this world. The world was dramatically different before you entered and will never be the same once you are gone. So celebrate, there is no one else just like you and that is worth a dance, a drink, a trip, a party, a song, or a cupcake.
- Travel While we all can’t afford to build up frequent flyer miles galavanting all over the world, the journey simply needs to be away from the familiar. Jump on a $1 Bolt bus, take the train to another section of your city, drive until your lost and discover new people. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes your richer” I heard that somewhere and it is facts.
- Support your sister We need to support each other period. It’s ok to make intros, answer a question, buy a product support your girl who is working on something similar. There is room at the table for all of us, we can all win.
- Love. Show love, be open to receiving love, stay connected to those you say you love. Love is an action word so when you say you love you must act. You love yourself, treat her good. You love your children give them more uninterrupted time, you love your girl, call or text her even when you think you are super busy. I use to ask my daughters father “you couldn’t call her when you took a break to take a $hit?” that being said there is always a minute or two to spare.
- Take care of yourself. Schedule the health and dental visits. Eat more fruits and veggies, drink 8 glasses of water, floss, stretch, breathe, meditate, pray and pay your bills as best you can on time to keep the monkey off your back.
- Joy is activism. You don’t always have to be carrying the weight of the world and fighting the biggest wars to be revolutionary or cal your self an activist. Choosing joy, chasing joy, and just being joy filled is activism at its best especially in our community. We need more joy. We need to have more fun. There needs to be laughter, giggles and silly smiles.
There are so many other things that we can include but I was challenged by my Pastor to use this year to simplify. So this is it in a nutshell, 11 nuggets that can dramatically improve your year. Do these work for you? Are there a few you add, if so please share in the comments.