We are living the very times that sister Audre Lorde was referring to when she proclaimed self- care as an act of political warfare. We are only 11 days into a new regime and have had our faith, reproductive rights, and basic human rights under attack. We are watching #45 wreak havoc, glued to our social media streams where every attack is amplified while still working to put food on our tables, deal with microaggressions at work and/ or in the community, and care for our families while still working to put in the time to fight. The struggle is real and your personal health is vital to revolution.
We need to be vigilant about our physical and mental health now more than ever because the very act of you being alive and healthy is Resistance! We need your voice, your thoughts, your ability to make calls, create art, score movies, produce films, write books and tells our stories. We also need folks to grow the food, open grocery, and bookstores, design clothing, teach our children, clean the streets, open bank accounts, and help our kids across the streets. We need people in our communities with the mental and physical capacity to work, the work makes us better and empowers our families and communities. We are the workers. If we are ill everything falls to the wayside.
Ask yourself these few questions and be intentional in answering them
- When was my last physical and or pap smear? If it wasn’t within the past year, stop what you are doing and schedule it.
- When was my last dentist appointment?
- When was the last time I bust out laughing? Shoot a text to a few of your girls or better yet a teen and ask them to send you something funny
- Have you waxed, plucked or catered to your hairy parts? Shit! Hair removal instantly makes me feel sexier
- Have you moved your body today? If you can’t hit the gym go for a walk if you can’t go outside pull up a video on your phone and find a youtube workout or some good dance music and rock out.
- When was the last time you were touched? Human touch is so important to our spirits. If you have a partner to ravish, make time for that today. If not hang out with a good friend and snuggle up and watch a movie, ask a friend for a hug, take a walk and hold hands.
- How many glasses of water did you drink today? Go get another
- Take periodic and frequent social media/ media breaks
This is just a start to being cared up for the revolution but you have to start somewhere. Pray, meditate, talk, seek therapy, eat well, have the courage and audacity to do what you need. What will you do today?